Re: [Harp-L] RE: Fatigue and Reed Life: An Objective Test?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe and Cass Leone" <leone@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Vern Smith" <jevern@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE: Fatigue and Reed Life: An Objective Test?

On Apr 19, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Vern Smith wrote:
I have a 270 chromatic in which there is just one SS reed.

BUT, did you TELL anyone there was a ss reed in there.?

Yes.

Since all harmonica reed slots in a given harmonica (until lately) have been the same width, I think that changing widths could have an effect. For one thing the reeds wouldn't have to be so thin as foil. I see this nowadays in the very highest reeds.

I believe that the #4 draw on a D harp (the E) goes out because it is in that grey transitional area where it is just thick enough to do the job. If the slot and reed were narrowed, and the reed thickened, I think it would be PAST the danger area.

Changing only the width of a reed does not change its pitch. Another way of saying that is that a wider or narrower reed would not be thicker or thinner to sound at the same pitch. It might change the loudness slightly and would definitely change the amount of breath required.

Hohner may have changed the width of the short reeds to save breath on the high notes. The change in width from .08" to .07" would save the player about 13% of his breath. If it cut the sound energy by 13%, that would be only -2 db and hardly perceptible to the listener.

If you find this difficult to believe, do the following mental experiment:

Imagine two identical reeds vibrating side by side. Their shape at every instant is exactly the same. Bring them closer and closer together untill they are touching. Since they are moving exactly together, there is no rubbing. Now glue them together, and there is still no change. Then weld them together so that they are the same piece of metal...still no change. After the weld, the resulting single reed is twice as wide but still vibrating at the same pitch.

Also, I find it interesting that while Hohner made brass reeds for all it's harmonicas AND accordions, no matter HOW expensive they might be, they chose SS for Harmonetas. I realize that the 'Harmie' was an (comparatively) expensive instrument, but what about the Meisterklasse or better yet the Silver Concerto. That's why I have always said (and got a lot of heat FOR it), that the harmonica is a comsummable instrument. It may just be the world's first throw away item.

Only way to get a lasting harp? Make it yourself.

smo-joe

Vern Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com