Re: [Harp-L] By the way,,

On Apr 9, 2008, at 8:23 PM, Ken Deifik wrote:
How did you get into playing that style in '63?

The opening riff to that tune is the classic riff. It is actually very similar (but shortened) to the opening riff to 'High Heel Sneakers'. It's an easy riff. Like the one on 'Hey Baby', 'Fannie Mae', or 'Western Union Man'. Easy riffs. Nothing like you guys are doing today.

I was born in 1942 and my harmonica playing started in 1955. I started on chromo FIRST. That's why I KNOW that diatonic is actually harder to play...well (the operative word here being..well). When I started playing diatonic, I was frustrated by the missing notes. Eventually I found out how to come up with 'some' of them. I only went as far as the ones I needed. In 1959, (age 17) I joined local 802 (transients musicians local). So by 1963, I had been playing chromo for almost 8 years and diatonic about 5. From 1961-65, I was in the navy and my dive partner only listened to country-western. Until then, I was a pop, big band, mo-town, doo-wop, French, Latin, and jazz player ('some' light classical). No blues, no Celtic, no polkas, no country, no blue grass, no western, no Cajun, no Tex-Mex swing.

smo-joe