[Harp-L] What's the best octave pedal out there?

In a message dated 10/21/2007 7:03:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight  Time, craig
writes:

       I have found the low-end ZOOM  pedals are decent for their octave
effect!  I have had a Zoom H-4 and  currently use a GFX-1.  The other effects are
dicey for harp, but the  octaver works pretty good.  There are settings for
split octaves, up a  third, down a half; up one, down one ... down one ... you
get the point!   Whatever pedal you use ... it would be a good idea to have the
input modded to  a 5k-ohm resistance, a la Ron Holmes, before using it to
plug directly  into.

What is the purpose of the  5k-ohm, please.
ron