Re: [Harp-L] keepin' it simple

When I teach people to improvise I start them on one note. I use Jamie Aebersold volume 42 Blues in all keys and 24 Majors and Minors.
I suggest they simply play a rythim with the one note as well as ading some long notes. Simply playing what feels good.Then I suggest they add another note. And so on. But it all starts with that one note. The joy on someones face realizing they are playing music along with somthing is verry cool.
I'd like to take credit for this way of teaching but I can't, I had a sax teacher explain this to me who had loads of students improvising from there begining as well as reading.
To get back to the point at hand.
When I was a younger man I thought I had to play all the licks in my arsenal in the first song. Someone tought me as you said keep it simple.
If I'm still playing at 90, I'll still welcome that feeling that you speak of.................................................. Dane Paul