Re: [Harp-L] RE: Huang Star Performer Quality

Hi - I haven't bought a new harp in several years and had a question on their recent quality.When I started playing in the 80's the Hohner quality was terrible and I started playing Star Performers.I know that harp quality has varied over the years, but I've had great luck with the Huangs.My experience is that I need to retune 5 and 6 draw occasionally, compared to the Lee Oskars I have which seem to stay in tune forever, but I prefer the Star Performer tone and playability.Any recommendations are welcome.

I played Star Performers for 15 years, until last year. I really liked them alot, more than any other harps. I don't tune harps, so I think the tuning of the Star Performers probably suited me out of the box.

Last year my D disappeared after a gig, just as a discussion of the Suzuki Fire Breath was getting going here on Harp-l. I bought an FB to replace the missing harp. I must tell you that it is such a radical improvement that I will never buy another Star Performer. Beautiful sound, incredibly smoothe response up to the 10th hole, better dynamics. Dang.

Weirdly, on a gig this last March I looked down in my case and the old Star Performer D was just sitting there. I have no idea why my eye just completely missed it for nine months. Later that evening I pulled tried it out, and my only reaction was "What on earth did I ever like about THAT?"

Ken