[Harp-L] RE: Huang Star Performer Quality

Ned sez :

Hi - I haven't bought a new harp in several years and had a question on their recent quality.When I started playing in the 80's the Hohner quality was terrible and I started playing Star Performers.I know that harp quality has varied over the years, but I've had great luck with the Huangs.My experience is that I need to retune 5 and 6 draw occasionally, compared to the Lee Oskars I have which seem to stay in tune forever, but I prefer the Star Performer tone and playability.Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

Ned

Hurricane sez :

When I was fully frustrated in the mid 70 somethings with Hohners Golden Melody and other models , one day in my local music store I see a new harp display from a new harp company called Huang  and said to myself :

" Couldn't be any worse "

Checked out a few and then after testing them I bought some Star  Performers . At home as I compared the Golden Melodys and to my happy conclusion I found a winner in the Huangs  at more than half the cost :)

And still use them today although I have SP20's in the quiver too . I try some of the hot rods out there ( Suzuki's , and others of reputable quality from time to time, but , I still go back to my Huangs . Maybe it's me but the Haungs remind me of the traditional old Hohner harp sound ( of the 50's & 60's when I first began to play as a kid ) more than the rest .

I DO NOT LIKE nailed combs or cover plates at all ! ! !

With a good harmonica bellows I weed out the ones that are not up to par and THEN after SIDE BY SIDING THE BEST ONES , I make my choice(s) purchase , sure I have to regap from time to time , but with a harmonica bellows I don't make bad choices hardly ever to the point of re gapping :

" America "

< http://www.harpinanawhinin.com/MP3s/patriotic_MP3s/america.mp3 >

written by Chan Romero ( Mr. Hippy Hippy Skake 1959 )and sung by him can be heard at :

Harping an Whinin < http://www.harpinanawhinin.com/ >

A Star Performer was used on that recording .

Silvertones as well are great harps , they ain't pretty but they can fight ! Their chromatic 1248s aren't bad either .

And the price ...........

Wow !

Commonsense says it all .

Me < http://friends.iwx.jp/Hurricane01ss.jpg > Man handling a Haung and loving it .

Chan & I < http://friends.iwx.jp/Hurricane01.jpg > note I have a Star Performer in my hand .

Many who don't like them after I have recommended them to some one and then these people returned them or dumped them , I ask why the didn't like the Huang , I alway seem to hear the same lame excuse :

" They Don't Look Nice "

or

" The Machined Heads On The Screws Are Not Good Looking " .

I don't recall any of them saying Haungs sounded bad unless the individual omitted a thorough bellows check out first before buying .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx