From: "Fernando Bresslau" <fernando@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: November 30, 2007 6:26:51 PM EST
To: "randy singer" <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "GMueller@xxxxxxxxx" <gmueller@xxxxxxxxx >
Subject: Re: narrower Hohner Chromatic reeds announced

Hi Randy,

I hope you are doing well.

I am not working for Hohner anymore, but will try to answer to the
best of my knowledge. It would be OK to publish this info on Harp-L,
as I feel that there are many incorrect points in Mike's e-mail which
need to be clarified. I do believe that Mike wrote the e-mail to the
best of his knowledge.

First of all, the change in the width of the top reeds for chromatic
harmonicas does not affect negatively the durability nor the tone of
the reeds. You can be sure that dozens of different profile designs
have been tested to ensure that reed life was improved and the
characteristic Hohner sound kept. The change in the width of the reeds
has insured an even better performance of the highest reeds, with much
improved response and no squeak.

Secondly, this change has taken place some years ago, already. After
tests indicated the better performance of the reeds, the change has
been done as soon as possible to the harmonicas, so that customers
could benefit ASAP from the improvements. Since many plate tools had
to be re manufactured, the change has obviously not happened for all
models at the same time, but in phases.

Because of that, there is the need to carry both types of reeds, new
and old. Hohner is not phasing out the wider slot gradually to be able
to use existing wider reeds. The improved performance and, therefore,
satisfaction of the customer, outweighs the cost of the available
stock by many times. As soon as there is no need for the wider reeds
anymore, they will be taken out of circulation, only the necessary
amount will be kept to ensure that repairs can be done. The necessary
tools will also be kept in the case that such reeds have to be made
again for any eventual shortage for repairs.

If you take a look at your reedplates, they have a 4 number code
stamped on them. This indicates when the reedplate is stamped. For
instance, 1107 would mean this month, nov. 2007. This coding has been
going on for a long time already. If the reedplates have an "X"
preceding the the date, the plates already feature the narrower and
improved slots. This mark is solely to indicate to Hohner technicians
which reeds to use in case of repair.

Having said this, I don't believe that there is any reason for alarm.
I have played harmonicas with both types of reeds and can confirm the
higher performance of the new plates. As have players like Olivier Ker
Ourio, Toots, Kathrin Gass, Tollak Ollestad, just to name a few.

Also, there will not be a shortage of reeds for replacement and
repair, so this aspect was also taken care of in the best interest of
the customer.

Again, as I am not working for Hohner anymore, I am sending this
e-mail to Gerhard Müller in copy, product manager, so that he can
correct any outdated information if necessary.

Please tell the folks at Harp-L that I am sorry for not being able to
follow the discussions recently, as I am in the middle of my MBA
education and have stepped back from harmonica discussions.

I will be in NY and Nashville in the second half of December on
vacation, though, and would love to meet up with fellow harp-lers.

With best regards,

Fernando, studying for final exams.