Re: [Harp-L] Help!!!!me

I just accepted a gig with keys drum and bass no guitar. and me on harp and vocals of course. I've never done a gig without guitar any words of wisdom or advice would be appreciated.

The most important thing to do, whether you're playing loud or not, is to swing like crazy and make sure your mates do, too. If you swing you don't have to blow people's brains out. Choose material that swings. Unless your keyboard player is a total monster play don't try to play balls-out rock and roll blues. Swing swing swing.

I used to have a band with Andy Statman on mandolin, before his Klezmer transformation, electric bass and dobro. No guitar. Admittedly, we were trying to see what sounds we could make without guitar, and it turned out that we made a whole lot of music and had a nice local following.

I also used to play the opening of the Groundlings shows every weekend in the early 80's. Just me and the musical director, Ray Colcord, and a drummer. Ray is often described as a genius, and I don't really have any trouble with that description. He could fill up a whole room with the feeling of good loud electric music, and he didn't even need a harp player. But he graciously invited me to play with him at just about every show. (My wife was in the troop, and I was there for almost every show.)

You don't need guitar for nuttin'. The keyboard will take care of the mid range if he/she's a good musician. If not you're dead anyway. Rehearse ALOT, and if the keyboardist is merely middlin' don't try to fill up the room with the feeling of good loud electric music.