[Harp-L] Re:[ Harp-L] the process of switching keys using Bach...

Marc,
I don't think I can really answer your question, first I am not anywhere
near a "pro", but maybe this gives you some info of use.

I've been playing "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire" for a while now, and always
played it in 1st position.  My approach was, 1) can I play this?, 2) pick up
a harp, any harp, 3) see if I can work it out, by ear.  It was clear that
1st pos worked well, just from "ear-playing" it.  I wasn't trying to read
sheet music, transpose, or do anything like that....just play it from
memory.  I do that with a lot of "traditional tunes", (Garry Owen,
Shenandoah, Irish, Scottish, S. Foster, folk, etc.) and usually first
position works well, if not try second or fiddle around until I find it.
Then if nothing goes well on a Richter, maybe a MM, Paddy Richter, NM,
Country tuned, etc.  Oh well, that's how I did it.

Anyway, I love playing "Jesu" particularly since I worked out using octaves
in the "bridge".
25+   25- 36+   36+ 25-  25+ 14-   etc
(I like to throw corner switching in on the 14- to give a -1 -4 -1 -4
pattern).
Problem with this whole approach of course is hitting the 3" spot on near
the end of the verse.  I normally flub it or fake it, but for a good player
it shouldn't be too bad (am I am getting closer to being able to go from the
5+ to the 3" spot on),  The Paddy Richter eliminated having to hit the bend,
but then you lose that great octave stuff.

So, just some comments on how I approach it. I'll be interested on how the
real guys do it.

Fred S