[Harp-L] Some rare Walter Horton for download

Hey all -

  I've been working on transferring some of my rarer LPs and cassettes to digital form and thought the folks around here might appreciate this one. It's a compilation of various Big Walter rarities that I originally recieved on cassette from a Harp-l member (I'm afraid I've forgotten the kind gent's name) about 10 years ago.

  Over the years I misplaced the tracklist he sent me, but it was fairly easy to piece together using the excellent discography here: http://www.customharmonicas.com/walterhortondiscography.pdf

  There are only a few instrumental cuts where I'm not sure of the origin/title.

  From what I understand, cassette copies of many of these cuts have been circulating for quite some time but I've never seen them available digitally, so I assume there are lots of Big Walter fans who haven't heard this stuff. There are moments of breathtaking brilliance (check his amazing 1st position work on "Going Back To St. Louis") as well as some great examples of Walter playing and singing solo, as a sideman to various folks, and in small acoustic and electric band settings.

  I've got quite a few other Big Walter rarities that I'll be posting if it seems like people are into it - the Document "Solo Harp" record, the 2 "reunion" records with Jimmy DeBerry, and others... - as well as some rarities from Sonny Boy, William Clarke, Rod Piazza & other lesser-known dudes. Please let me know if someone else has already posted this stuff, okay?

  Cheers,
  Chris

  Walter Horton Rarities Compilation:

  1. Juke (Evan's Shuffle/Walter's Swing-like instrumental) (Solo)
2. La Cucaracha (Solo)
3. I Hate To See The Sun Go Down
4. Going Back To St. Louis
5. Crawling Kingsnake (Floyd Jones)
6. Ain't It A Shame (solo)
7. She Left Me A Mule To Ride (Johnny Young)
8. That?s Wrong Little Mama
9. Eight Ball (Gus Jenkins)
10. Evalena (Tampa Red)
11. Little And Low (Homesick James)
12. My Home Ain't Here (Homesick James)
13. Need My Baby (1964)
14. Have A Good Time (1964)
15. Watch Out (Hound Dog Taylor)
16. Instrumental (Hound Dog Taylor)
17. What Kind Of Man Is This (Koko Taylor)
18. Instrumental (Hound Dog Taylor)
19. Sitting Here Alone (Hound Dog Taylor)
20. I Got What It Takes (Koko Taylor)
21. Instrumental
22. Instrumental
23. Instrumental