Subject: Re: [Harp-L] was Harmonicas Shipped to Iraq, now let's ship harps to Ir

Dave:

If no one else has mentioned it, Doc Belcher of Harp Depot has been doing
this for a few years already...and when I talked to Richard of the Harp  Depot
store at the Garden State Harmonica Festival....I believe he said their  count
is up somewhere around the 12,000 mark so far - (that's 12,000 diatonic  harps
shipped to the troops, and out of their own pockets, to boot!).

This is an ongoing project, they'll continue no matter what. When I
expressed an interest in helping (contributing to the cause), Richard said  donations
would always be welcomed.  They clearly already have a system in  place to
ship the harps.

_http://www.HarpDepot.com_ (http://www.HarpDepot.com)

My original question about Herb Shriner's "old" harps would have  been about
the difficulties of a soldier in the field finding the necessary  equipment to
clean/disinfect a used harp...but I just read the article  about his sons'
intention to donate their father's collection, and these  marine bands were
bought by him many years ago, are clearly new old stock,  unused and stored away
until now.  The sons guesstimate the value of the  harps at $40 - $50 each, so
they understand what they're donating.... the troops  would be getting a neat
collectible instrument.  Very cool, and a nice  memento to bring home, as I
see it...especially this close to the  Holidays.

(I gather that when donations of the usual kind  - treats, baskets,  etc -
are made to our troops they're distributed to all  soldiers/sailors/marines
scattered throughout the world, so I'm not sure the  Harmonicas will all end up in
Iraq, unless they're specifically designated to be  sent there. Couldn't some
end up in Afghanistan and Guantanamo, or on one of our  many ships at sea? I
find that thought immensely appealing as well).

Elizabeth

"Message: 8