Subject: [Harp-L] re: Les feuilles mortes -- playing correctly

Martin writes:

(and I like this short paragraph most especially out of his entire very
well-written post):

"Learn the tune and then improvise, would be a good general rule to the
aspiring player. Not written in stone, of course, the point is to make something
that sounds, interesting, beautiful or whatever is yr aesthetic."

...I've just returned from The Garden State Harmonica Festival, where I  was,
once again fascinated by the improvisational ability of a few of  the jazz
oriented players there.  This was precisely one of my main  questions (since
I've "gotten lost" before despite not having the skills to  improvise the way
these guys do and am much too timid to venture too far  afield)...."just how does
one guarantee finding one's way back to the  melody?"...(I'd been listening
to Chris Bauer, Charles Spranklin and Phil  Catabellotta, specifically at that
point)....

Phil explained it ...saying that there were times one did get  "lost"...most
especially if you did not keep the main melody in mind...that it  helped to
have a great accompanist (Keyboard player, etc) to bring back  one's focus..but
that learning the song thoroughly, "knowing" it inside and  out, usually helps
you wend your way back no matter how far out into the  stratosphere you've
gone.  Smo-Joe has told me the same thing when I've  listened in amazement to
how far "out" he goes from the original song.   Their lightning fast runs on
chromatics are so different from the saxophone  players I usually listen to; I'm
still adjusting.

I'm rather sure Miles and the other great jazz improv artists knew  every
note, nuance and phrase of every song they thereafter chose to cover  and make
their own.

Elizabeth

products.