Re: [Harp-L] amp recommendation for loud band

Lindsey............I myself am in a similar situation as stated in a post
(attached) I wrote a few months ago.
After beating my head against the wall and lots of experimentation here is
what I came up with.
For loud situations I use a Senheiser 604 which is actually a small dynamic
drum mike. I was touring in Holland when I was introduced to this
mic by a sound man, that noticed that I was having a lot of feedback during
the sound check. I reluctantly unplugged my 520D and plugged in the
Sennheiser and.... MAN I could get lots of volume.
Having said that :
I plug my mic into a senheiser e100 wireless.
The wireless plugs into a Line 6 Pod XT Pro (rackmountable and switchable to Euro power)
And the Pod plugs into a Sabine FBX 2400 feedback eliminator. There are solo models that do the same thing on one channel for less money, but I wanted the stereo version for the Pod. The Sabine only notches 1/10th of an octave so it colors my tone very little.
I usually go straight into the PA, sometimes I put one half into the PA and the other into a Mackie SRM 450.
I can be crazy loud or whisper quiet and have almost the same tone. I will say in closing that as the volume comes down I'm able to dial in more sweetness. This is what I used in the attached video.
.......................................................................Dane Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UQGQdzR4I0

It seems I stand between a rock and a hard place as the saying goes.
First..... I wear ear monoliptic (<?) ear plugs. Before that I wore
sonic 2's and or anything that would protect my ears. After 30 years (of
playing) or so
my hearing sensitivity is below 10 decipals in all frequencies which I'm
pretty proud of (PLUGS). Having said all that, here is the "rock". I play
with
Bobby Parker who came up in the old school way of doing things, when
speaking
of guitar tone and volume. He explained to me that when he came up you had
to rely on making your own power, PA's didn't cut it hence the BIG A%# amps.
Here comes the hard place. In order to keep up with Bobby I've had to resort
to being loud myself. I've spent a fair amount of time and money to do this.
I know I have choices.  I must say I give Bobby the utmost respect. I've
experienced many things playing with him that I may never have without. As
well the challenges of learning horn lines on harp and adapting the way I
play to suit Bobby's harp needs has made me a better player.
Back to choices. I'm not going to quit playing with Bobby so I'll have to be
loud.
Here is the cool thing about all this, I've been able to put together a rig
that can keep up with all but a few guitarists, and as well play whisper
quiet and pretty much have the same tone.
When I gig with my band I try to keep the volume quite reasonable. Iceman I
deffinatly have to agree, when the volume is lower the band sounds better.
I do a sound on occasion. As the band gets louder the more frequencies have
to be reduced in the mix in order to increase the gain before feedback,
pretty soon you have a severe discoloration of the sound and no one likes to
listen to baby poop green....<feeble attempt at comedy

Later
Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "lindsey mercer" <lindseywwmercer@xxxxxxxxxxx>