But you meant Ab on a  B harp which, yeah, is 4th pos. in the cycle of 5ths terminology.
Cheers,
RD

>>> "Jonathan Metts" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 15/11/2007 9:37 >>>
Actually, I always use the Circle of 5ths when naming positions, and I've
never ready anything by Steve Baker.  I meant 4th position for Ab on a B
harp.  Same reason I said that Stevie probably played in 1st position -- Ab
on his Ab harp.  Is the song not in the key of Ab?  That's how I play it.

Jonathan Metts

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Dempster" <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; "Jonathan Metts" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:35 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Stevie Wonder Question

Jonathan;
                 When you say '4th position' here, it seems you mean Eb on a
B harp. So I assume you are using the terminology which seems to be somewhat
passe these days, probably since Steve Baker's book.
                 I learned the older terminology too, thanks to Tony
Glover's book.
                 Most people now seem to use the cycle of 5ths in naming
positions now, so that Eb on a B harp would be termed 5th position.
                 Personally, the whole 'position' terminlogy drives me nuts,
as I have said on previous occasions.
                 I prefer to assume a C harp, and in this case think of it
simply as 'E on C'.
                 No criticism intended here; just clarification.
Regards,
RD

>>> "Jonathan Metts" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 15/11/2007 3:43 >>>
"even Eb using an Ab diatonic harp (Boogie On Reggae Woman)."

I thought the consensus was that he played this song in 1st position on an
Ab harp.  From my experience, it also works in 4th position on a B harp.

Jonathan Metts