[Harp-L] Loud

Getting back to this loud thread, a performer has to ask themselves what they expect from a venue/audience.

Interesting story: It was Milwaukee 2007. There were 5 of us doing an afternoon jam in the lobby. Now, as ya'all know, a lobby is a place where sojourners are constantly bipping and bapping back and forth scurring to various attractions. People will bump into friends and they will begin a conversation.

Well. as it were, 2 of the players were getting upset at the amount of constant chatter. One was actually very upset. Now keep in mind that this man was a star when I was still in diapers (and I'm 65 for God's sake). Okay, so I take this to mean that he was not used to THIS type of venue.

Venue is important. Very important. I am basically a bar player and quite used to putting up with the sounds of dropped glasses/dishes, people chatting, laughing, even yelling. Waitresses barking orders to the bar tenders. Yes, one could say that I have had my A$$ dragged over the Gla$$ when it comes to extraneous noises.

Sooo, If you are the type who wants everyone to pay attention to what you are playing, you need a venue like an auditorium where people sit in chairs, and have no outside events to distract them. The various harmonica fests fit that particular bill and THAT is why I get nervous, and yay I say unto you...even SICK when I have to play at such a venue. I am more comfortable competing with other noise and NOT having people paying all that much attention. This way, I can slip one over on them. (THAT...and the vodka, tee hee)

I see this as a reason why some bands are loud. They have the attitude that if they play too softly, that this will encourage the crowd to be able to actually hold a real conversation with their date, wife, or friends and they won't have to look at each other and nod yes while all the time not having understood a single word that the other person just said. To these bands I say 'Get OVER it & move on'. If you feel you are that big a star, go find a venue that fit's your exalted stature.

Yes, venue is important
so sayeth   smokey-joe