[Harp-L] Volume thread ~ with harp content!

The volume thread is interesting to me, despite the recent absence of
harmonica content.
Not sure where the harmonica is hiding in Vince's last post, I'm sure  it
must be lurking somewhere:

"Facile.  Purely facile.  A convenient little box to put things  in.  A
lectern from which to pontificate.  All is not the  same.  Go ahead
and broadcast from your tiny podium.  An  inbred self contained
logical system does not imply truth, merely a  desire to paint the
world to conform to your own tiny uptight  mind..."

...We've all got our opinions and preferences as to how loudly (if at all)
to amplify the harp, and I'm happy to read and listen and think about others'
approach to the dynamic.
As to purely facile convenient boxes, I prefer the fairly sturdy grey ones
the Special 20's come in. As for playing harmonica from a lectern, I lean
toward  a standard stage setup, due to my habit knocking over lecterns and mic
stands  while lost in a solo. All are not the same of course. A podium is quite
another  thing, though I find the mics used on them (especially on the  tiny
ones) usually have a tendency to attract some nasty feedback. An inbred  self
contained logical system, for instance one of the Kinder  AFB variety, can
certainly help. All of which implies the truth of the  harmonica's role in
fulfulling the desire to paint the world to conform to  our boundless imaginations.
I like the way my harp sounds thru the Bassman...I've had it altered to  take
lower powered tubes than the originals, but the "sweet spot" is  still up
there a ways. But I've had and lost interest in a nearby high  volume jam night.
The musicians are of generally high caliber and taste.   But my favorite night
was when the PA broke down, and if vocals were going to be  heard, the amps
had to be tamed. With only a few exceptions, everyone "got it",  turned wayyyy
down, and the music was well-served. And to a person, all the  regulars there
to listen who'd all agreed it was the best night they'd  heard. Tiny uptight
minds, I guess.

Jeff Gathercole
Denver CO