Re: [Harp-L] Loud band

I find that most people (with a few exceptions) use excessive volume for a number of reasons.

1. To force an audience to listen to them.
Which is self defeatist, because if you are too loud people don't hear the music. All they hear is a wall of noise.

2. To hide their own musical shortcomings.
What I call the "If it's really loud they won't notice how badly I play" syndrome.

3. The ego trip.
A lot of people play extremely loud and are only concerned with their solo and have a "Look at me Ma!" attitude.

These people don't understand what music really is, and probably never will. So I don't even bother trying to educate them any more.
My solution is simple. I don't play music with them.
I as a musician consider my hearing to be my most valuable asset and will do all I can not to damage it longevity with excessive volume.

Paul