Re: [Harp-L] Changing the Way You Hold the Harp (long)

It is confusing. In general right handed people hold the harmonica in their left hands. Just for fun I checked 3 harmonica instruction books. The Harp Handbook, Blues Harp and Country Harmonica. All 3 suggest that right handed people hold the instrument in their left hands. Move to chromatic, where's the slide button? On the right. Imagine holding right and pushing the slide. Pretty annoying and I know because that's how I play a chromatic. Generalising about how left handed people do anything is less easily done. The 2 left handed guitar players I've played with in bands played right handed. I know several left handed people that use scissors in their right hands. Left handed people living in a right handed world have to adapt. We see people doing things and try to imitate them. Statistically we're much more likely to learn from a right handed image than a left handed one. Back to scissors. I use right handed scissors in my left hand but they have left handed grips. If you tip a right handed scissors to the left of centre you can use them left handed. That right handed scissors are available with left grips tells you I'm not the only person who uses them this way. Oh add Johnny Mars to the list of players who holds right with the low notes to his right. Gleaned from my quick glance at the Harp Handbook. Left handed people are 7-10% of the population. It would be interesting to know what percentage of people hold which of the several ways you can hold a harmonica and what their handedness was. fjm