Re: [Harp-L] Re: Hear yourself giging

I have occasionally been surprised that others could hear me playing
acoustically in sessions with instruments like trap drums, saxophone,
and electric guitar and bass. So not hearing yourself is no guarantee
that others won't; just make sure you're playing something decent.

That said, banjo and box may be loud but a harmonica player has this
big built-in amplifying device called the human body. The air column
that reaches down into your abdomen is like the body of an acoustic
guitar - it takes what has been called the "miserable chirping reed" (I
mean, try plucking a reed with your fingernail and seeing how loud that
is) and makes it much louder. Oral cavity and hands can further focus
and louden the sound by tuning to the resonance of the note being
played. Playing loud acoustically is not about heavy breathing. It's
about realizing that you have a very big hammer in your hands and that,
held correctly, it can deliver a strong blow with a very light tap
(which reminds me of a joke I heard from Kevin Burke, but I'll stay on
topic and within the bounds of decency).

I have a Paolo Soprani (or at least half of one - it has no treble
reeds but the bass side works). My XB-40s can take it on any day. And
they regularly are heard several rows away in the fiddle group I play
in, which varies in size all the way to orchestral proportions. So I'm
sure that a harmonica player can make him- or herself heard with some
work on resonance.

I do know that one member of this list, Steve Shaw, does regularly go
to Irish sessions with a bullet mic and an amp. I imagine, though, that
he's already well known at the sessions he goes to.

Winslow