[Harp-L] Re: Seydel Black Favorite

I have a Suzuki that did (or does) that occasionally. I finally figured it
out. One time I got it apart and there was a mustache hair stuck in the
reed. It only happened in the low holes and most of the time, if I kept
trying to play it,

  Dov,
   I sent you an e-mail, but I wanted to mention something on list as well for the benefit of others who might be interested. I've seen foreign objects cause problems at times, not cause problems at others. With a hair, if it sits at a 90 degree angle to the reed, all is fine and the reed vibrates well and when it moves more parallel to the reed, it catches.

  With what you've said thus far, I don't know if its ever been dropped or something, but I also suspect maybe a slightly misaligned reed. The Favorite has pretty close tolerances and I've seen some close-tolerance reeds, very slightly misaligned catch in some situations and vibrate freely in others.

  You could try just playing some chords around the catching reed. That often clears out stuff. If it's a problem with a little tiny burr, and the reed will still vibrate, that can clear up with light playing.

  Dave Payne Sr.
  www.elkriverharmonicas.com