Re: [Harp-L] octave - and baritone - chromatic (was movie date)

While the present body, reedplate, and reed dimensions of the Suzuki
tremolo chromatic are not suitable for building an octave chromatic,
they are very close.

The Hohner "bass" (really more of a baritone) Polyphonia has reeds only
a few mm longer and maybe 1mm wider that the lowest reeds in a
four-octave chromatic. Those reed dimensions could be incorporated into
the lowest octave of either a baritone slide chromatic or a single-comb
octave chromatic built in the same manner as the SCT-128. It would ahve
to be a bit deeper front to back, to accomodate the the longer reeds in
the lowest octave.

Dripping the pitch of existing chromatics with solder has proved
unsatisfactory, if I read correctly what Brendan Power has had to say
on the subject; response is just too sluggish. But a lsight change in
reed dimensions changes all that; the bass Poly is plenty responsive.
But it means new reedplate and comb dimensions; the longer Poly reeds
won't fit on a standard 64 reedplate.

Winslow