Re: [Harp-L] practice harps/accelerated learning

In a message dated 11/1/2007 12:50:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I use  the best harps I have for practice.  I think I'm like most
'practicing harmonica players' here when I say that after my warm-up, the
practice session is about discovery and invention.  The whole reason  I use
excellent harps is because there is so much more to discover and  invent on
them.  I have a bag of new techniques that do not even work  on my cheaper
harps, or don't sound that good on them.  I want to  keep inventing more.

Here is a short cut - it works with the students that I've "test  driven".

Don't think "practice" any longer. There is no Practice VS  Performance

Every time you pick up your harmonica, it is to be in performance mode.  Now,
granted, you might be "performing" how to TB bend the 3 hole inhale to the
first bend, but you are in a performance mind set. You might be "performing" a
blues scale up and down for 5 minutes increasing your speed gradually.

Treat every moment with the sacredness of your performance  attitude. Try to
adapt the stance of performance - no more slouching in the  chair with a half
a**ed attempt at making a harmonica noise. Even while driving,  if you pretend
you have a recording studio in the car w/mics and you are making  a harmonica
track, the time you spend on the harmonica becomes "accelerated" in
time/accomplishment ration.

Don't use crummy harmonicas - ever. You can have a "pocket" harmonica that
you wouldn't need for a gig, but that "pocket" harmonica should be tuned when
it  starts to sound off, gapped when needed and cleaned out regularly.

It is an interesting way to put "sacred" into more of the time you spend on
the harmonica - results are pretty amazing - however, you do have to give it
100% of your heart/soul.

Accelerated learning - like the 5 minutes/day. Twice the results in half  the
time.

This is one of the reasons my students pay me $$ - not only to teach them a
new technique, but to teach them how to accelerate their learning.

The Iceman