Re: [Harp-L] practice harps

Playing a bad harp will make you damage a good one.

I'm being dramatic to make a point. When you play a leaky, unresponsive
harp, you may use more force and push the harp a lot harder to get what
you need out of it. You then form habits based on the poor response of
that harp.

When you apply those ingrained habits to a responsive harp, you're
likely to push it too hard. The force you needed just to get through to
 the reed on the leaky harp will now go directly to the reed, full
force, on the good harp. Result is that the reed will now get more
energy than it can handle and will blow out sooner. It also means your
artistic interpretation will suffer because everything will be hard
hammer blows.

If you don't want to wear out your best harps doing repetitive drills
and exercises, at least use harps that are in good to very good playing
condition. This prepares you better to get the most out of a good harp
and lets you form good playing habits.

I would do artistic practice on the best harps, the ones you'll use in
performance.

I remember a story by the orchestral conductor Antonia Brico. She went
to Italy to conduct an opera at a prestigious opera house (La Scala? I
don't remember). She worked hard in rehearsal with the orchestra to get
a disciplined, nuanced reading of the score. Then she showed up to do
the performance only to find a whole new group of faces looking at her
- the  players had all hired subs so they could play other gigs and now
had no idea what she wanted - she had to go along with their customary
interpretation in large part.

Using your best harps only for performances is a little like that - how
will you know what you can get out of them artistically if you never
use them until you get on stage? They will be strangers to you.

Winslow