Re: [Harp-L] Re: reedplate covers

I don't mean  to intrude here, but I have some info on plating metal. I
plated metal for about  10 years and at the last 5 I was a chrome platter. Just
about anything that has  shiny chrome on it has nickel underneath. They do that
as a matter of course.  You start out with steel cleaned to the max and give it
a copper strike (dull  copper, very fast plating) for about 15 to 30 seconds
depending on the  application, and then it gets nickel for about 10 to 15
minutes and then chrome.  It's almost impossible to just put chrome on steel and
have it come out looking  good. The shops are all set up with nickel right
there so it's not really that  more expensive. There may be a new method that I'm
not aware of, I quit plating  in 2001, but I'd say it would be more expensive
then the old method just because  it is new.

     Hope this helps.
         Randy
    BiscuitBoy Blues

In a message dated 10/31/2007 10:36:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,