Re: [Harp-L] Re: Horn influences in blues harp playing

On May 31, 2007, at 11:36 AM, Splash wrote:

After playing in a horn section, doing mostly R&B and jazzy fusion stuff, I
have a sense of the horn in my harmonica improvisational licks.

Having played cornet prior to having my face smashed in a helicopter accident and then again in a prison riot, I also have some horn influence in my playing. I copied the fire brand trumpeter Lee Morgan and have played 'Sidewinder' many times.
The trumpet solo transferred to chromo sounds NOTHING like harmonica phrasing. The tuk-tuka-tuka is strictly valve instrument.

It's not
something that I have consciously worked on or tried to develop. It's just
a natural by-product of having a sense of the horn.

Yes, it IS a natural by product as well as ANY other instrument a person will pick up and play with for a while. People will bring in flute, sax, even accordion. In MY case, I use a lot of clarinet frills.

I played blues harp for several years before I picked up the saxophone, and
later the flute. Took lessons on the flute for a number of years learning
scales and modes and certain classical pieces, transferring that
lesson-learning into the sax, all the while in my band sessions playing R&B,
jazz and some rock-based stuff.

It all rubbed off on my playing of other instruments.

Absolutely. You would be EXACTLY the man I would love to hear (like a Peloquin) as I'm only too sure that there is a ton of osmosis from those other varied instruments screaming to come out. Each has it's own unique voice, and a person versed in them will HAVE to let out the stimulii that they have received. They can't help it, and I think a lot of it is unconcious. It doesn't take too many bars for me to be able to tell that a player has input(s) other than harp.

Even though I might not be playing exact riffs done on the saxophone, the knowledge of the place
of my horn in the mix of the group-horn-section has to have colored my harp
playing.

Yes, especially on harmony parts. Point/counter point, tonic/dominant/ sub-dominant.

The harp is kinda like a horn, no?

Yes, wind instrument. Most will disagree and I am 'technically' wrong, BUT wind goes in, wind goes out.

smokey-Joe

And the hot bullet mic into a
class A amplifier gives it a horn-like tone too. Which leads to the ear,
which leads to the brain, which tends to lead the mind into musical phrasing
which is like the horn.

Had I focused entirely on Bach during those years instead, my playing now
would certainly be different, no doubt.

Hard to escape when improvising, no?

PEACE Scott Believe in Magic!