[Harp-L] Re: Horn influences in blues harp playing

After playing in a horn section, doing mostly R&B and jazzy fusion stuff, I
have a sense of the horn in my harmonica improvisational licks.  It's not
something that I have consciously worked on or tried to develop.  It's just
a natural by-product of having a sense of the horn.

I played blues harp for several years before I picked up the saxophone, and
later the flute.  Took lessons on the flute for a number of years learning
scales and modes and certain classical pieces, transferring that
lesson-learning into the sax, all the while in my band sessions playing R&B,
jazz and some rock-based stuff.

It all rubbed off on my playing of other instruments.  Even though I might
not be playing exact riffs done on the saxophone, the knowledge of the place
of my horn in the mix of the group-horn-section has to have colored my harp
playing.  The harp is kinda like a horn, no?  And the hot bullet mic into a
class A amplifier gives it a horn-like tone too.  Which leads to the ear,
which leads to the brain, which tends to lead the mind into musical phrasing
which is like the horn.

Had I focused entirely on Bach during those years instead, my playing now
would certainly be different, no doubt.

Hard to escape when improvising, no?

PEACE
Scott