Re: [Harp-L] what is ODBG ? (was creativity)

On May 13, 2007, at 11:57 AM, BRATGIRLBABY63@xxxxxxx wrote:

Personally, I think we've become a more easily offended society, because we
have become such an "insensitive" society.

Therefore, if we have become an insensitive society, we should NOT be easily offended. It's a matter of 'If the shoe fits, wear it'. I have been insulted countless times. Take WOP for example: People use this phrase and don't even know what it means. It means immigrants who came to this country WITH OUT PAPERS. The stupid jerks who came up with it didn't even realize that without is ONE word, so that shows THEIR ignorance.

Being from a heritage that was (because of the over bearing Catholic Church) MANIACAL about keeping records, MY people actually DID have birth certificates whereas a lot of the people using this phrase were born in the U.S. and DIDN't.

Let's take DAGO. This was a term hung on immigrant Italians, Greeks & other 'Medeteranean' type by the black peoples of the New Orleans area. The phrase goes like this: "Dago heah, dago dere, dago and take yo job, maybe dey need go away". Fact: At one time Italians were murdered in great numbers in New Orleans.

People should get a grip and simply consider the source. I happen to be Sicilian (decent). I once interviewed for a job with a security clearance, and the panel asked me how many friends and relatives I had in the mafia? They didn't ask 'if', they asked 'how many'. My family landed here (the first time) 5/26/1601 at St. Augustine Fla. That beats Jamestown, that beats Plymouth. I don't listen to bigotry. Bigots get written off.

But, I don't see any disrespect in shortening a phrase to an anachronym (or whatever it's called). It all depends on how the person intends it to come across. If their posts or writings have never come across as malicious, I see no problem.

Go out in public, spend some time
at the mall or grocery store, or watch some TV. Take a look at how kids/people
talk and act these days. Blatant disrespect is every and is becoming the
norm, so it seems.

Yes, and TV and the movies are the cause. Writers will prostitute themselves and write ANYTHING for a buck. Remember a couple years back when EVERYTHING on TV dealt with gay people. Before that EVERYONE had aids. Before that it was black, hispanic, oriental gangs. Now it's Russian mafia. Now EVERYTHING is terrorists. What's next? Eskimos whose bodies have been taken over by space aliens?

Writers need to carry hod or crack coal for a while and learn what it means to work for a living. Instead of making everyone's misfortunes their fortunes. It seems as if everyone is writing a book.

Everything is so "in your face" now a days that people become
 desensitized to much of it and soon it becomes socially acceptable.

Because no one will take a stand. Controversial issues go to court and judges toss them out. Hard working tax payers are getting sick of carrying all the leeches, so everyone is looking out for themselves. You try to correct someone, and you wind up getting stabbed. Self preservation.

Free
speech is good. Declining respect in society is not. Harps are good. Harps are
great. Harp players are the greatest. Maybe you have a point, Dave. We should
all talk less and everyone take up the harp!

People should worry more about important things. smokey-joe

Chicago Brat Knowledge is Power