From: Bob Laughlin [mailto:rlaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Mon 5/7/2007 1:12 AM
To: Barnum, Ansel (Ansel); lil Buddha; Harp-l
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Real creativity,,,warning,,WAY TOO LOOONNG

SORRY,,but I always liked the idea of the "long version",,

I'm sure that your gripe with "canned repetition" is legitimate, as
legitimate as those who like to hear the same song played in the same way as
it was when they first heard it. The legitimacy of your desire to hear
something freshly interpreted is based on everyone's sad experience of
having heard something played "as originally written", but without soul,
without enthusiasm, without heart. There are nuances to playing something
from the heart that are perhaps there when first performed, that over time
may get old to the performer, for instance on a night when the artist has
had a difficult set of circumstances, and is just going through the motions,
with no particular love for the audience OR the music, but has to perform
just to fulfill his/her contractual obligations. Then, there are those
performers who have become relatively well-known, made some large cash, and
have no particular desire this night to "give it their all". That's
unfortunate, if you happen to have paid some "large cash" to attend.

I think all artists have their "off nights", though some are more given to
provide a good show for the attendees than others. Some performers at times
become so embittered over their present circumstances as to have almost NO
concern as to what kind of show they put on. They lash out at the band, kick
over equipment, and throw tantrums on and off-stage. Even the most
well-known of artists have their "hissy-fits". It takes a truly
self-controlled and graceful artist to avoid wearing their emotions at times
"on their sleeves", as this is part of performing, having a willingness to
be approachable, vulnerable, and at times, emotionally available to the
audience.

I hate it when I happen to attend a performance that bombs, but hey, we're
all just people. Sure, performers "ought" to just hike up their pants, and
"suck it up" until after they entertain their paying public, but not
everyone can do that, it would seem. Some artists have had reputations for
being fairly incoherent onstage, though at their best, they seem to shine.

In terms of classical music, many are appreciative of one who can accurately
re-create a wonderful piece, reliably, time after time, with seeming
flawless accuracy. Yet even then, there is an "interpretation", if only in
the speed of a particular passage, or the delicacy with which it is
navigated.

Pepe Romero, the well-known classical guitarist, who teaches at USC, said to
his masterclass students that "every performance should be an
interpretation". I tell my son this. He plays classical guitar, and well. He
was going to play recently for a group of women associated with the Orange
County Performing Arts Center, and I told him, "What these women want to
see, is a young performer who is not only technically proficient, but also
in touch with his feelings, with respect to the music, and is emotionally
available, not just playing notes, but demonstrating a sensitivity to the
music. Lean into it when you perform. Get immersed, emotionally invested in
the music."

I noticed, when I attended a performance of Pepe Romero's recently, that he
"leans into" his guitar, caressing it, making love to it. Music should have
that element.

Watching Adam Gussow's harmonica lesson clips on youtube.com, I noticed that
he refers to the performer as a "warrior", a "lover", and a "painter", in
the sense of having a fighting intensity, to bring something musical to
completion no matter what, loving it to take the time for doing it right,
not just rushing through it, and being creative, painting a picture, knowing
when it is "enough".

If only all performers could make it happen every time,,

When they're "off", there's something missing, some "crispness", some
subtlety of phrasing,,but it's all due to how "prepared" the artist is, how
"available", not only in technical execution, but even in how nourished or
how well rested they may be, or on the negative side, how affected they may
or may not be by some variety of chemical use or abuse. A refreshed yet
relaxed performer is often a good one. How one finds that balance is an
individual matter. There are so many variables, making the difference
between a "hollow man" going through the motions, and an entertainer.

Entertainment is an art. It's not just a matter of the mechanics.

So,,I like repeat performances,,if they are crisp, and fresh. But when even
the performer isn't inspired, how can the audience be? "Creativity" begins
within. If the song was good the first time, it's good every time, if it
retains that "living edge", and that depends on the performer. It's the
difference between playing it "tight", or "not quite right". A living plant
has both a zone of new growth, and some deadness, ready to be discarded. If
the performer is "dead", without life, the performance will seem like a dead
leaf, falling to the ground. If, however, the performer is "alive", the
performance will be like a flower opening.

One thing I like about music, and performing,,is that the music can be
freshly "discovered" each time it is played. This kind of musical
"discovery" is what will get an audience to stop and listen.