From: lil Buddha [mailto:ltlbuddha@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sun 5/6/2007 2:03 PM
To: Barnum, Ansel (Ansel); Harp-l
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Real creativity

Ansel,

Setting aside the physical and psychological aspects of creativity and
aging, there is a very good reason your heroes do change their style; money.

The unfair dilemma fans often out on their idols is this very question. If
you are the same all the time, some of your listeners will get bored. If you
change, you risk alienating many fans. This seems to be especially true of
Blues.
If you have a fan base willing to buy your music, attend your concerts and
request your songs on the radio, you have no incentive to innovate.

Please, no Miles Davis referrals. He is an exception, as is Jazz. There are
other exceptions, but they are just that; Exceptions.