Re: [Harp-L] Studio Reverb / which type to use?

> A quick question to all who records in studio. I'm gonna record
> chromatic solo. Which type of Lexicon reverb would be the most
> applicable: plate, vocal, hall, etc. It' s gonna be a front man
> solo - no echo like things at backgound, but solo with a jazz
band.
> I'll try a couple in studio, but in ordrer to save time in studio
> your advice would help greatly.

I agree with Richard that if you can lay your solo down "dry" on a
separate track you can add the reverb (and other effects) in the mix
down and tailor it to the rest of the piece.  This also has the
advantage of allowing you to dial in how "wet" the effect is.  When
you play live you have to mix the wet and dry signal inside the
effects unit, which means what you get is what you get.  If you add
the effect later you can dial how much of it you want.

One thing that seems to be consistently true of studio effects
(rack) units is that they add too much of the effect to the combined
signal when used live.  I dialed my plate reverb effect on my Alesis
Midiverb down from about 30% default, to about 5-6% for live use.
That's plenty!

Good luck and have fun.

-tim