Re: [Harp-L] The reed issue

Maybe it was not clear to everybody.

Fatigue limit is the stress at which the part (in our
case a reed) will not break after an infinite numer of
bending cycles. So in case of a certain reed material
and thickness the maximum stress occuring during the
vibration of the reed does not exceed the fatique
limit ( a certain stress) it will never break. This
goes for steel and titanium alloys for example. But
not for copper alloys. They will break after a finite
numer of cycles no matter how low the stress is. This
is the theory. However one of the practical things is
that the grinding marks in the reeds will definitely
shorten reed life, this is the reason why people try
polishing them (not the factory because of sales
figures).

THis is certainly my private opinion.