Re: [Harp-L] The reed issue

I find the following: flexing wire
aluminum...... ridiculously low number of bends (6 to 10). Alum is best used in sheets where the load can be spread over a flat surface. Modulus of elasticity is poor. Not good for trailers, cars, trucks or vehicles where sudden shock is put on it (especially at the welds). Best used in aircraft.

brass...... very maleable. (20-25 bends) Older plumbing is red brass (good stuff). Newer plumbing is yellow (naval) and still decent. Modern brass has too much recycled scrap in it.

bronze....... same as alum. Fairly brittle. 6 bends (at most)

mild steel.....10-15 bends. Not as maleable as brass.

stainless.......15-19 bends. (If not hardened)

copper........more than 25 bends.

silver........more than 15 bends

disclaimer. Naturally, there are in infinite number of alloys available today. This makes our search overwhealming. This plethora of alloys also complicates things as it tends to get into all the other metals in amounts anywhere from trace to much.

Suffices to say that ANY spring material will work as a reed. (Even bamboo, plastics, celluloids, carbon fibre, glass fibre, bone). I (personally) feel that a copper berrylium silver alloy (Silcober) would do it.

smo-joe