Re: [Harp-L] Vibrato

Matt;
         Unfortunately I do not have access to Youtube through my
server;I would like to see Adam's videos. I agree that it is possible to
'shake' the diaphragm. I don't think it creates 'vibrato', however.
'Tremolo', yes.  I would like to be proved wrong! The differencebetween
tremplo & vibrato has already been detailed by myself and a few others.
You can't confuse one with the other. Using your hands is certainly
tremolo only, as it alters only volume/tone and not pitch.
Regards,
RD

>>> "Matt Smart" <matthewsmart@xxxxxxxxx> 8/03/2007 12:08:42 >>>
Adam Gussow demonstrates using a diaphragm tremolo/vibrato on his you
tube
videos.  I use it as well.  Mostly for blow notes and chords.
However,
sometimes when I really want to rip, I will pull a very hard and fast
diaphagm vibrato or whatever you want to call it on it a single note.
Often
times the 6 draw.  However, I find the most controlled vibrato to be
using
the throat muscles..larynx..or whatever you want to call it.

There are lots of vibrato effects.  I like to use them all. I think it
creates nice textures.

Moving the jaw.  This works especially well on blow bends.  I learned
this
watching Filisko and PT Gazell.

Shaking the harp.  I always thought this was stupid, but then I heard
local guy in Atlanta on record and loved his vibrato.  I met him and
all he
was doing was the shake the harp thing.

Using the tongue.  I learned this from Madcat.  Moving the tongue
while
bending and using the hands makes a really nasty sound.

Using the hands of course.

Using the diapgragm for deep, rough but nasty sounds.  Also works well
for a
soft vibrato effect on chords and octaves and blow notes.  If anyone
does
not believe it is possible email me and I will send you an audio.

These are just a few tricks I use.

On 3/7/07, Rick Dempster <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> tremolo, as can the tongue; these practices  produce a variation in
tone
> and/or volume (and when I say' tone', I am referring to bass &
treble
> variation, not 'pitch' - by which I mean fluctuations between
flatness
> and sharpness)
> A true 'vibrato' (rhythmic variations in pitch) is produced by the
> opening and closing of the vocal chords (read 'epiglotus' if you
want)
> I am no great shakes as a singer, but when a 'vibrato' occasionally
> appears in my voice, I think it is a variation on this process, but
> still caused by movement of the vocal chords: If my diaphragm is
> controlling the flow/pressure of air, my vocal chords can be relaxed
> enought to viabrate according to the frequency of the note to produce
> vibrato.
> With the harmonica it is a slightly different process: it is not the
> vocal chords themselves that are making the sound but the reed in
the
> harmonica. Hence the function of the vocal chords is not to flex and
> unflex to change their own pitch, but to act as a shutter to cause
> sudden build-ups of pressure followed by equally sudden
> release/decrease. Naturally, the diaphragm retains its importance in
> keeping a constant 'demand' for air (I could say 'pressure', but the
> pressure varies with the stopping of the epiglotus) but any
viabration
> felt there is a result of the 'glottal stops' (choking of the
epiglotus
> or vocal chords)
> This is all a re-phrasing of Tony's conclusions, which have been
well
> observed and considered.
> Reading over what I have just written, I realise that I have used
the
> word 'demand' (ie as opposed to 'supply' as in blowing) when talking
> about the role of the diaphragm in the production of vibrato.
> Hmmm...this opens up another matter all together: vibrato while
blowing,
> not drawing....does it exist?
> Obviously not, on holes 1-7, because there is no appreciable pitch
> variation available (ie the blow notes don't bend)
> I do attempt to use the glottal stops (hiccups, chuckles, coughs or
> whatever) on blow notes, but they act more like 'tremolo', and I am
not
> aware of ever really making the same process work on the blow-bend
notes
> (8,9,10)
> It just doesn't seem to be appropriate on the hight register notes.
> use a kind of harmonic trill, a la Gwen Foster, which gives a wide
> variation from one semitone to another,; but they are two separate
> notes, so it is not really 'vibrato' as such.
> I have not yet tried a blow vibrato on the lower two octaves of an
XB,