Re: [Harp-L] Re: Dynamics

Robert Bonfiglio wrote:
Turning the volume up on a mic does not give
you the same excitement as playing with power and then having soft
nothingness in the high register.  The difference in volume in your
playing makes the music exciting, i.e., dynamics are very effective
but if you can not play loud, they go away.

This is not really in response to Mr. Bonfiglio's post, as I know nothing about gapping, at least as it applies to dynamics. But I think dynamics is a subject worth discussing.

I recall being so excited by the wide dynamic range of the Renassance harmonica that Doug and Bobbie invited me to test drive. Made me wish I was a chrom player and that I could afford to buy that wonderful instrument.

The dynamics on the Suzuki Firebreath are significantly more detailed than on any other diatonic I've played, though they are not within miles of the Rennie. I have found either four or five clearly different dynamic states on it, and I practice jumping between them every day. I use the Irish fiddle tunes in Glenn Weiser's wonderful book for that purpose.

Four or five degrees of loudness are actually alot for me, considering I absolutely never play any music with dynamic markings (I never play any music with any markings, as I don't read it off a page in the first place) and use dynamics in what would be an awfully primitive fashion by the standards Mr. Bonfiglio sets.

But I use them. Using them and thinking about them alot has taught me to play the middle dynamic by default so I can go up or down one or two notches at will. I love going down one notch in the middle of an improvised line. It changes the focus like the light in the room changing when a cloud goes over the sun outside. I believe that it forces the listener to listen more closely, and there are infinite dramatic uses for that shift.

When my mother-in-law died my wife asked me to play her mom's favorite song at her graveside. "Lara's Theme" or the theme from Dr. Zhivago. I do not ever recall liking that music, but I like my wife, and liked my mother-in-law, so there was no question that I was going to play the request. When I learned the tune on my lil' chromatic I started to like it pretty quickly. It is nowhere near as square as I had thought it would be, and its very simplicity offers amazing phrasing opportunities.

About three hours before the funeral I sat by myself in the Houston backyard of a cousin-in-law, lingering on the question of how to play this tune. I had to practice it, first off, dozens of times, because as simple as it is, I wanted it to be mistake-proof, and I was not playing my native instrument. As I kept repeating it, I started monkeying with the dynamics and started to get a picture of the dramatic structure that the piece was going to have.

And then, about an hour in, I found myself crying. I missed my mother-in-law, but I wasn't crying for her. I had found a dynamic sequence that really told a story, a very sad one. Pretty much by accident. I had never made myself cry that way before. I tried the same dynamic sequence and it made me cry a second time. I did it over and over, and finally was practice Not Crying more than anything else. And it was hard. But the revelation was just how automatic it all was. Play song with this dynamic sequence and you will cry.

Texas people, at least my wife's people, are not big funeral criers. But when I played it at the gravesite it caused people to sob, and for the people, most of whom I did not know, to treat me like some unearthly being who could make them cry with a harmonica. I think a number of them weren't all that close with my mother-in-law and were pretty mystified as to why they were crying for her.

By that time it was entirely mechanical on my part. It was like following a paint color recipe at a hardware store. Not that I wasn't moved by the situation and the music, but I was actually more moved by the technical revelation at that point.

On the subject of changing your dynamics with the mic, I am glad as hell to be in agreement with RB. Moving in and out of a mic, for instance, doesn't just change the loudness of your playing, it changes the eq noticeably, and that can be really unattractive in the studio, and much less effective than using your diaphragm to change your loudness when you're playing live. With the exception of home concerts I never perform in any situation where I do not use a mic, though I consistently try to present an acoustic effect. I come closer to achieveing that effect when I'm careful to keep a constant distance from the mic and vary the dynamics with my diaphragm.