Re: [Harp-L] Brazil Harp - Obrigado!

On 6/22/07, Bill Hines <billhines4@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Wow, just got back from Brazil and wanted to report since so many folks
helped me out to get hooked up there (with music that is, the rest stays
in Brazil..). Madcat, Fernando, everyone THANKS. I went to Bourbon
Street Music Club Weds night to catch Sun Walk & Dog Brothers. I'd seen
their youtube videos and they looked like a great Brazilian blues band,
but alas no harp player. But that wasn't going to stop me from going.

So Weds night at the club, beautiful place, big stage, got a table right
up close with my guest/host/companion for the evening. A warmup band,
good blues band with a very attractive tiny female singer with a voice
as big and strong as Big Mama herself, crazy Alvin Lee looking young
longhair lead guitar player who was excellent if not just for his facial
contortions and SOUL he put into his playing. After a few songs up comes
a GUEST HARP PLAYER. Nice! Didn't catch the name, local guy I assume.
Good chops, bullet, Fender-type amp.

Glad that you enjoyed it. The first harmonica player was probably Paulo Gazela, from Campinas, with long hair. http://www.paulogazela.com.br/cont/paulo-gazela/

Break, up comes Sun Walk. After a few songs, GUEST HARP PLAYER. Now for a seemingly endless parade of songs, GUEST HARP PLAYER, a different one on each song! They were all very good. I'm thinking, what the hell, is this a whole country of harp players here, all of whom way better than me? One guy just came up and played acoustically but to me he was the best. Killer tone, effects, electric technique through the acoustic mic - octaves, trills, vibrato, he had the whole package and great style. I did ask what his name was but now I forgot it. Young guy, black hair.

Yeah, the organizer is a harmonica fan, and we do have many harmonica player in São Paulo. It is so much easier to ask a different harmonica player to sit in in each song, they all use the same mike and amp setup. Try calling a different guitar player each song, doesn't work that well. I would guess, if the last guy played Little Walter style, that it would have been Melk Rocha: http://paginas.terra.com.br/arte/sobesom/melk_renata.jpg

Anyway, just a note for anyone in or traveling to Brazil - at least in
Sao Paulo there seems to be many excellent harp players! I'm supposed to
go back, but I asked that my next trip be to Rio since the beach and
diving are closer :^)

And in Rio we have also several extremely good harmonica players, also on chromatic and outside of blues. Names to look for are:

Flávio Guimarães
Rodrigo Eberienos
José Staneck
Rildo Hora
Maurício Einhorn
Otavio Castro
Gabriel Grossi
Jefferson Gonçalves

just to name a few in no particular order.

Cheers,
Fernando