[Harp-L] Brazil Harp - Obrigado!

Wow, just got back from Brazil and wanted to report since so many folks
helped me out to get hooked up there (with music that is, the rest stays
in Brazil..). Madcat, Fernando, everyone THANKS. I went to Bourbon
Street Music Club Weds night to catch Sun Walk & Dog Brothers. I'd seen
their youtube videos and they looked like a great Brazilian blues band,
but alas no harp player. But that wasn't going to stop me from going.

So Weds night at the club, beautiful place, big stage, got a table right
up close with my guest/host/companion for the evening. A warmup band,
good blues band with a very attractive tiny female singer with a voice
as big and strong as Big Mama herself, crazy Alvin Lee looking young
longhair lead guitar player who was excellent if not just for his facial
contortions and SOUL he put into his playing. After a few songs up comes
a GUEST HARP PLAYER. Nice! Didn't catch the name, local guy I assume.
Good chops, bullet, Fender-type amp.

Break, up comes Sun Walk. After a few songs, GUEST HARP PLAYER. Now for
a seemingly endless parade of songs, GUEST HARP PLAYER, a different one
on each song! They were all very good. I'm thinking, what the hell, is
this a whole country of harp players here, all of whom way better than
me? One guy just came up and played acoustically but to me he was the
best. Killer tone, effects, electric technique through the acoustic mic
- octaves, trills, vibrato, he had the whole package and great style. I
did ask what his name was but now I forgot it. Young guy, black hair.

Anyway, just a note for anyone in or traveling to Brazil - at least in
Sao Paulo there seems to be many excellent harp players! I'm supposed to
go back, but I asked that my next trip be to Rio since the beach and
diving are closer :^)

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA