RE: [Harp-L] music and perception

I could never really clearly hear the difference between cd and vinyl
that offends Young and Dylan. I always supposed that was due to my bad
hearing (to some extent Neil Young is responsible for this, haha). At
least CD vs vinyl - I always thought vinyl felt 'warmer' too but assumed
that was just my affection clouding my perception (as in the wood vs
plastic debate?).

However, I thoroughly enjoy cranking up my surround system to some good
dvd audio, now that feels damn warm to me.

Funny though that at my daughter's graduation party last week, I had an
old military buddy here so when the band got done I threw on some old
vinyl discs that we used to blast the barracks out with, and a few
people noticed a difference (this piped out was over some outdoor
speakers) in the sound. My vinyl is still mostly well cared for, but old
so I'm sure a lot of the bad stuff Ken talked about (great post!) has
happened to them. Maybe the folks were hearing the hiss, crackle, and
pop, ha. Now that brings back memories!

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA