Re: [Harp-L] music and perception

"Splash" <celtiac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Two articles about Bob Dylan and his opinion of today's digital sound.
>
> One with some very good commentary in the comments section.
> http://talk.livedaily.com/archive/index.php/t-544034.html
>
> And one from Rolling Stone.
> http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/08/22/bob-dylan-profess
> ional-rabblerouser/

it's hard to take seriously an analysis with stuff like:
"Digital is the sound of music with its soul sucked out."

i wonder what algorithm they're using these days to suck the soul out of music?
with today's faster processors, they can probably afford to apply adaptive multipass
techniques to ensure that every last bit of the soul gets removed.

> I prefer analog sound.  Sitting in the orchestra section of a concert hall
> designed for perfect acoustics sometime in the late 19th and early 20th
> century.  Give me a small theatre house for an intimate musical experience.

you mean you prefer live sound, vs. recorded sound.  who doesn't?

> The analog sound
> your ears will be blessed with at places like Gussman just can't be
> recreated on a CD.

true.  nor on other commonly available formats.  the problem has nothing to do
with CD's, but with the recording process.  going all the way back to the original
idea of "stereo".  even back then engineers understood that two channels was inadequate
to capture live sound.  it was a compromise between quality and space.  similar to
the compromises one makes with mp3 bit rates, or any lossy compression.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.
do something.