Re: [Harp-L] playing third position

From: "Chris Michalek" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
You don't need to know OBs to play in 11th so don't let that stop you.

This confuses me. On a C harp, 11th position would be plaing in the key of Bb.
I = Bb = 3' [x] 10+' (no octave tonic without an ob).
II = C = 1+ 4+ 7+ 10+ (OK)
iii = Db = 1' 4' [x] (OK for minor/blues at the low end)
III = D = 1 4 8 (OK)
IV = Eb = [x] [x] 8+' (only major pent does not need IV)
v = E = 2+ 5+ 8+ (OK)
V = F = 2'' 5 8 (OK)
VI = G = 2 3+ 6+ 9+ (OK)
vii = Ab = 3''' 6' [x] (minor OK at low end of harp)
VII = A = 3'' 6 10 (OK)

The reason that I've avoided 11th position is that it requires an ob to get an octave of the tonic, and an ob to get the IV except up high. That seems like a big deal to me. How do you play 11th position without ob? What am I missing here?

Maybe I'll make a you tube video of this stuff. Do you guys want that?

I'd be quite happy to get a free YouTube lesson from you. I'd a bit surprised that I haven't noticed anyone respond, perhaps I missed it.

Peace and music,
Dave