[Harp-L] playing third position

>PS Dunno why Chris told you to start 3rd on draw 6, which plays the 5th
>of the 3rd position scale. It must be one of those groovy teaching
>techniques he's picked up off the Iceman.

Well that's not exactly how I would have put it.  I tell people to relate 3rd position to a position they are comfortable playing.  I'm all about the path of least resistence - go with the flow and all that etc...  I most likely noticed that Steve started his 2nd position solos on draw four - most of you do right?

2nd = 3rd
d2  = d1     one chord
b4  = b6     four chord
d4  = d6     five chord
d3b = d5     b3rd  chord definition note
d5  = b7     b7th  chord definition note

In 2nd position where you'd normally play the d2 the same "sound" can be found on d1 in 3rd.  In 2nd where you'd normally play the b4 the same "sound" can be found on d2 in 3rd.

Let your ear be your guide. Learn to identify absolute tones and relative tones. Think in terms of sound, shape and texture.

For example the sound of hitting the draw whole step bend on hole 2 and letting it bend up to the 2 draw is what I consider a shape.  That same shape is available on 3dbbb to 3db.  So pick up your Eb harp and playing the 2dbb-2d and then pick up your C harp and play 3dbbb-3db....that's 11th position.

A person who can really play 11th can mask 2nd position playing because alot of the same tones, sounds and shapes are there.

You don't need to know OBs to play in 11th so don't let that stop you.

Maybe I'll make a you tube video of this stuff. Do you guys want that?