Re: [Harp-L] Re: top 40 harp

And there is so much more possible these days. In the old days, they would often speed up a single to give it a brighter and more energetic sound. Today, you can speed it up without raising the pitch, or raise the pitch without speeding it up. In this case, the producer could have, for instance, decided the song needed a bit of excitement and done the modulation from Bb to B digitally -- after the artists had already recorded it. Easy to do with today's software.

Or, perhaps if B was causing trouble for the harmonica player (seems unlikely in this case) the backing tracks could have been lowered in pitch while he recorded the harmonica tracks, then all the tracks brought back up to pitch.

Anyway, once you have the tools to play around with pitch without loosing much in the way of quality, there's very little the end listener can assume ;-).

- Slim.

Joe and Cass Leone wrote:
I was thinking the same thing too. On both counts. I remember in the old days there were hardly any recordings that were right on pitch. I wrote this off to the times and the premise that all record players weren't exactly the same speed. Also, the recording studios could be off, BUT, I had this conspiracy friend who insisted that artists did this to PREVENT people from playing along and picking up their tricks. What a tool.