Re: [Harp-L] Re: top 40 harp

I was thinking the same thing too. On both counts. I remember in the old days there were hardly any recordings that were right on pitch. I wrote this off to the times and the premise that all record players weren't exactly the same speed. Also, the recording studios could be off, BUT, I had this conspiracy friend who insisted that artists did this to PREVENT people from playing along and picking up their tricks. What a tool.

As for Steveland, I HAVE had this feeling on occasion, so now 'I'm' a tool. Now, we all know that he is famous for playing in keys far removed from the home key of the harmonica but sometimes, even if you play something in one of these keys, there is NO way to get the squiggles, chips, chirps that he is getting. It's like (for instance) he is in Db position (slide in) but you can't get the correct series of notes. Then you try crossing into another key, and Voila, you're close but no cigar. I once did something on a Bb chromo with the slide in (B), and then pitch shifted my recorder into C, and guess what? It worked.

Talk about sneaky. The kid drives me crazy. 8^D

smo-joe