[Harp-L] Price of Harps / First Harps

My first harp was an "Atta Boy" in C made by FR Hotz. It cost me $3.00 at
Amato's music in my hometown of West Islip, NY., back in the early 70's.
Once I was hooked I would take the train to NYC and head to the music shop
area in Time Square (Manny's, We Buy Guitars, Sam Ash and more) The store
that became my favorite and where I got the best deals was a store called
Terminal Music. I think it was around 43rd and 8th ave. Marine Bands $3.50
each! Every time I had saved 25 bucks from my paper route I would take the
trip in and buy a half dozen. When I did that they usually gave me all 6 for
$20.00 even. In those early years I beat on them pretty good and I just
loved running them under the faucet to soak 'em up real good to make 'em
wail! As soon as possible I made it a point to have a full set of all keys.
Not that I used the B's , E's or F#'s very much but it made me feel good to
have them in my box. When I was playing in my first duo "Looney Tunes" in
Brockton Massachusetts in the early 80's I actually went through a phase
where I had a pickle jar full of water and I kept the harps in the "soak"
24/7! When you soaked a harp and it swelled up you would take a razor blade
and trim back the teeth of the comb so you wouldn't cut up your lips. Once
they dried out the teeth would recess back in and that was not good. That's
where my pickle jar theory came in. Just never let em dry out! The result
was a brown soupy liquid with various other things floating around in it.
The harps played ok for a while but soon the constant water contact seemed
to affect the reeds. Everything started to get sharper and sharper tuning
wise. I think some of that "soup" was corroded brass. Needless to say I was
overjoyed when I discovered the Special 20's. They have been my harp of
choice ever since. Even with the price increases and availability of other
harps out there I am sticking with my Hohner's. They work for me and I
rarely blow them out like I did in the old days. My only exception is an
occasional Lee Oskar Natural Minor. Actually my other exception is still a
Hohner. Customized Marine bands from my man Jimmy Gordon are the bomb.
Closest thing to an Atta Boy in a pickle jar that I have found :-)

Warren Bee