RE: [Harp-L] Recorders

The Minidisc MZ-M200 looks pretty cool. As I have old minidisc field
recordings that I want to upload unrestricted and this player can do that.
A HiMD 1 gig disc is about $7.00 much cheaper than a flash card. This might
be my best choice for a "field recorder", length of record time + cheap
memory.
I need help...from this wounderful list. I have checked the archives and
nothing about minidisc, is it.... dead? Am I throwing away money?

>From the Rapids
Timm Goodrich

Minidisc ain't quite dead yet. I like to have decent quality recordings of sessions, and of myself when practising, but I shudder at the prices of alternatives that would give me results that are as good or better. I have a Sony MZ-NH700 Hi-MD recorder and I'm very happy with it. You do need a separate mic but I've found a minidisc stereo lapel mic in the UK for £25 that does a great job (Vivanco 216 if it's relevant). Uploading your recordings to the SonicStage software via USB doesn't take too long. If you use the setting that gives you eight hours' recording to the 1GB Hi-MD discs you get excellent results. MD will die one day as a result of its lack of convenience compared with modern-day gizmos but it gives very good results. My MD recorder will have to give up the ghost before I'll even consider the alternatives.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Watch all 9 Live Earth concerts live on MSN.  http://liveearth.uk.msn.com