Re: [Harp-L] You can't steal a gift

----- Original Message -----
From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
> On a similar note, someone earlier in this vast thread enthused on the
> fact that the ripoff artist was spreading joy to his listeners with the
> copied solos and that therefore it was cool.
>
> That's a little like excusing a thief for being generous with his
> ill-gotten gains. Anyone who benefits without knowing about the theft
> is being abused and deceived. Anyone who knowingly participates is as
> much a thief as the original robber.
>
> Winslow

Hey,,I always thought Robin Hood was doing the right thing, in stealing back
that which was unfairly taken from the people, in unfair taxation, and
giving it back to the people.

I heard someone talk about "relative morality", where a man stealing for
certain purposes is justified.

What if, for instance, someone needs water, and the well owner decides to
keep him from going to the well, or a stream goes through some property that
belongs to another man, and that man decides to dam the stream, stopping its
flow to the neighboring farms?

Some alleged "crimes" may save lives, for instance blowing up the dam, which
shouldn't have been constructed anyway, morally speaking.

If  crime rights a moral wrong, is it wrong to commit the crime?

This theme is covered in the French movies "Manot of the Spring", and "Jean
de Floret", by the way.

How do we know if the writers or composers of songs copyrighted in their
names haven't really received their "inspiration" from another, uncredited
source?

Just asking.

BL