Re: [Harp-L] You can't steal a gift

How generous of Dizzy - with someone else's property.

True, Bird and Diz were friends and co-creators of a musical style. And
Dizzy was a man who actively cultivated peace and higher understanding.
But would Diz have been quite so sanguine if someone else were raking
in the bucks and fame by duplicating Diz's solos note for note,
especially  while giving no credit to the source?

On a similar note, someone earlier in this vast thread enthused on the
fact that the ripoff artist was spreading joy to his listeners with the
copied solos and that therefore it was cool.

That's a little like excusing a thief for being generous with his
ill-gotten gains. Anyone who benefits without knowing about the theft
is being abused and deceived. Anyone who knowingly participates is as
much a thief as the original robber.

Ain't nothing wrong with using your influences. As amply pointed out,
every artist recycles what they find; it's part of the creative
process. But stone cold note-for-note duplication is the opposite of
creative; it's like putting up a defensive shield against having an
original thought or the scary and sometimes painful and chaotic process
of creating something of your own.

Winslow