Re: [Harp-L] plag(i)arism

Oooo...there's a famous quote here that I will not utter...

Rex "I'm frightened...hold me" Tobago

On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:40 AM, Glenn Weiser wrote:

The original post in this thread makes several points:
1.note-for-note solos were played in songs other than their original
placement
2.no credit was given for the originators of the solos
3.therefore the solos were being passed off as original improvisations
of this player
4.this was probably done to cover up a deficiency in improvising

It is possible that 1. and 2. are facts, but the leaps to 3. and 4. are
pretty quick jumps to moral high ground. Many blues performances and
performers don't lend themselves to a lot of attributing, especially not
detailed footnotes, so if no credit was given right then to the original
soloers, it doesn't necessarily mean that this current player was hiding
that, or would not possibly describe it all in detail given the proper
situation or interview. It also doesn't necessarily mean he/she was
trying to pass anything off as their own, it is quite possible that they
could see their process as a form of tribute, or as their approach to
creativity by recycling material they did not think could be improved
upon, and that they assume everyone knows their background, influences
and approach. It doesn't necessarily mean they are covering up anything,
it is possible that they do not aspire to improvise, or consider it a
deficiency not to improvise. I mean, I don't know any real details about
this situation, but if you find it offensive, it might be interesting to
ask whether that is because of the action, the playing, or some
"imaginary" attitudes attributed to the player.

Rupert Oysler
www.harprepair.com
Rupert-

1 & 2 are true-I was there.
As for 3, no one can say how many in the audience would have known the solos were taken from elsewhere. I believe few if any were wise to the heist.
As for 4, you can change "probably" to " perhaps" if you like but I believe that was the motive.
When people pay tribute, they usually say so. You could argue with that, and this Harp-L, after all, where anything that can be agued over will be.

In academia, people get fired for plagarism, to me at least so there is an issue of honesty here.

-Glenn