Re: [Harp-L] plag(i)arism

The original post in this thread makes several points:
1.note-for-note solos were played in songs other than their original placement
2.no credit was given for the originators of the solos
3.therefore the solos were being passed off as original improvisations of this player
4.this was probably done to cover up a deficiency in improvising

It is possible that 1. and 2. are facts, but the leaps to 3. and 4. are pretty quick jumps to moral high ground. Many blues performances and performers don't lend themselves to a lot of attributing, especially not detailed footnotes, so if no credit was given right then to the original soloers, it doesn't necessarily mean that this current player was hiding that, or would not possibly describe it all in detail given the proper situation or interview. It also doesn't necessarily mean he/she was trying to pass anything off as their own, it is quite possible that they could see their process as a form of tribute, or as their approach to creativity by recycling material they did not think could be improved upon, and that they assume everyone knows their background, influences and approach. It doesn't necessarily mean they are covering up anything, it is possible that they do not aspire to improvise, or consider it a deficiency not to improvise. I mean, I don't know any real details about this situation, but if you find it offensive, it might be interesting to ask whether that is because of the action, the playing, or some "imaginary" attitudes attributed to the player.

Rupert Oysler
www.harprepair.com

Glenn Weiser wrote:
I heard a well known harmonica player last weekend and found that this person was taking solos note-for-note from Sonny Boy II and Little Walter and inserting them into other songs without attribution, therefore passing them off as original improvisations. I consider this musical plagarism, probably commited to cover up a deficiency in improvising. Does anyone agrees that this would constitute plagarism? It is almost certainly a copyright violation. I don't want to name this person at this point.

-Glenn Weiser