Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 41, Issue 54

I can't think of another instance of retuning in the blues harmonica
community before Al Wilson.

However, it has long been practiced among vaudeville all-harmonica
bands (Borrah Minevitch, Harmonicats, etc.). Old-timers used to refer
to special tunings as "stunt" tunings - usually because the returning
was intended to acomplish a specific stunt like imitating another
instrument, accomplishing a specific onstage gag, or playing something
considered to be impossible by other players. (I'm trying to remember
who told me this - could have been Fuzzy Feldman or Ray Tankersley, or
Al Smith.)

Larry Adler once related that his chromatic harmonica got a stuck reed
while he was onstage performing with a symphony orchestra, and he
didn't dare switch harmonicas because he believed that the orchestra
members would think he was pulling some kind of trick - like using a
"stunt" harp (though he did not use that term). Apparently he felt his
playing would not appear legitimate if he couldn't do everything on one
harp.

As far as I know, retuning among blues-oriented diatonic players caught
on after Lee Oskar started using, promoting, and marketing altered
tunings.

Anyone have information that might fill in or alter this picture?

Winslow