Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Playing harmonica in a rack?

I'd like to make the/a convention some time. I have no doubt I would learn a lot, perhaps make some new friends as well. As far as the states go, I am in Madison, WI ;-)
cheers.
Jon

EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

Jon asks:
"I tried the dressing up like a pirate approach but couldn't keep the eye
patch in place while playing on a rack.... Seriously, any tips on using
a rack to make it easier to get around on the harp? I am supposing it is
just a matter of familiarity, practice and adjustment of the rack but if
there are tips on what made it work better for you I am all ears. Any
particular type better than others? Seems like the neck frame
shape/materials might make a difference but I only have one and have not
tried others.
Cheers.
Jon'
...Jon, I don't know if you're in the States or not...but at just about every Convention I've been to (and many I've not)...Marv Munroe of Ohio is usually in attendance as a "strolling minstrel" with his rack holding at least two harps he's rigged up himself...and is always only too happy to discuss details of how he's tinkered with it to achieve his needs. It's a work continually in progress as Marv will tell you, in order to be the perfect rack for him....there are a couple of photos of him using it on Pages 32 and 33 of the brand-new issue of Harmonica Happenings (just put out by SPAH).
I know he plays the XB40 as well as regular diatonics...and is the nicest guy..always in the thick of the Open Mic set-ups and sing-alongs with brother Roger, ready to back up anyone who needs him on guitar. Jimi Lee (Texas?) also plays incredibly well on guitar and harmonica with a rack..is also a "strolling minstrel" so to speak, starting mini-jams in the corridors with a more country/rock approach at most of the same conventions. Terrific guy.
Elizabeth